19 December 2008

Another Ad: Be Like This Guy!



I was reading an article on yellowcake today in an old issue of the Journal of the Minerals, Metals and Materials Society, and I just had to pass on this hilarious advertisement for becoming a professional engineer (PE). Granted it's ten years old and directed at folks who already have engineering training, but I couldn't help but think it's small wonder that we're having a hard time getting people interested in being PEs if ads like this are thought to be a legit recruitment tool.

By the way, Samuel Florman writes about the issue of PE licensing and much more in a fascinating book called The Introspective Engineer that everyone with even a passing interest in the field should definitely consider reading. I found it helpful to have a historical perspective on why engineering school is as unpleasant as it is (speaking of poor recruitment strategies...).

Florman's also a PE, albeit a (slightly) cooler-looking one. What he really looks like, though, is Ed McMahon.

Florman:




McMahon:

2 comments:

Alist said...

LUV IT. I wanna be a PE too! And wth were you doing researching yellow cake???

Kyle Matthew Oliver said...

Hehe, not for any particularly exciting reason. My thesis project is basically to write the nuclear fuel cycle version of Sim City, so I needed a bit of info about yellowcake for my uranium mine representation.